EW.com: Today's Latest Headlines

PopEater

Friday, November 18, 2011

HUNGER GAMES!

Just got the new Kindle Fire. I'm a complete Kindle newbie.

So forty-eight hours ago I borrowed the first Hunger Games book from the Kindle Lending Library as a learning experience. Plus, I kept saying I'd find out what all the fuss was about with these books. Well, I loved it! I immediately went to the actual library where I work to borrow the next book in the trilogy since I'd have had to wait until Dec. 1st to take out another book on my Kindle. They only had the second book in audiobook format. That did not appeal to me but I took it anyway. It’s been a long time since I listened to an audiobook. Now I know why. I realize I don’t like them very much. That surprised me. I thought I’d be a big fan: Reading without the hard work of actually reading. Sounds perfect! Well turns out, not so much.

I found the whole thing very disorienting. Which was a surprise since I’ve listened to audiobooks before. I’m having trouble pinpointing exactly what I didn’t enjoy about it this time. Because I have enjoyed them (at least a little) in the past. I think it may have been that all my other audiobook experiences until now (with one exception) had always ever been read by the author themselves. Maybe it was because they were telling their own stories, it added something “more”? Even Maya Angelou, who I generally find a little trying to listen to talk for more than a few minutes, was compelling reading from her own books. But through no fault of the author’s or actress reading (which happened to be Carolyn McCormick- who incidentally played Dr. Olivet on Law & Order) I found the reading really lackluster. It was surprising because she has such a soothing voice on L&O. But the narrator of the book is supposed to be a sixteen year old girl. There is no way she sounds sixteen. And she was doing all the different characters (which she was good at) but it was distracting. And she over-enunciated her words which was taxing on my nerves after a while. Or it just could be that I’m a reader. The Kindle itself is a challenge for me aesthetically. I keep wanting to turn the page. It’s only been a couple of days but I admit I find it very contrary to the format I usually use to consume books and I guess an audiobook is even more so like that. So it’s all an adjustment for me.

Well, one way or the other, I don’t think I’ll be doing the audiobook-thing that often (maybe I’ll just keep that format for long distance drives and the like). But, I listened to the whole second book in a marathon (six hours last night and five today while working) and now I can’t wait to get my hands on the third. But I mean my actual hands. I’m fighting the impulse to buy the third book when I go to Target tonight. I’m trying to hold out until I can borrow it from the lending library on the Kindle in two weeks. But I wanna know now! I’ve now gotten through both of the first two books in a little less than 48 hours. So I guess I’m definitely hooked. Who knew I was gonna be like one of those freekin’ Twihards and whatever the hell they call the Harry Potter fans- Muggles or whatever. But I’m addicted to Hunger games- it hurts my heart that unlike those other two franchises this will be the last book. (Although I know if there were eight books like Harry Potter I’d lose steam after about the fourth one. That’s about the point usually where my interest wanes). Whatever. I’m rambling now.

No comments:

Post a Comment